Monday, February 6, 2012

"you can't stay here tonight.

because if you do
I will not get a moment of sleep,
as I find no use in it
aside from the passing of the time.

the last few weeks
I've been going to bed
(most nights)
by 9 PM
because you aren't here
and there is time I have to wait to see you
which goes
so
very
slow
when
you
are
not
holding
my
hand

but I would truly hate
falling asleep
with you by my side
because those would be moments
spent not hearing your voice
and that
is simply
unacceptable.

so instead,
I propose the following:

you take my arm
and I'll walk you to your car
we'll kiss goodnight
and then I'll float back inside,
planning all of the things
that I want to say to you
when we're both awake again,

feeling the breath against our necks
and the eyes that we can no longer bear
to close."

1 comment: