Tuesday, November 15, 2011

thank you, ma'am, but I must decline.

I've been listening to songs about horses
Not entirely sure why, either
which isn't to say that I don't know
what it is about horses
because it's everything about them.

some time ago
I went to my favorite town
and spent some time at a horse ranch

it was the damndest thing
hearing what others thought about the west
in ways that I hadn't considered
or seen
or envisioned outside of anything but my dreams

but tonight
I'm thinking all about things running free
something about the west
where everything just
goes

the last time I was in Baker City
I saw a movie about someone
who pretended to be a cowboy
and fixed everything
(didn't even try to)
but through sheer willpower
and
literally
nothing else
found himself on the winning side
and everything was okay.

I remember trying that.

I found a hat
boots
paisley shirts
and a pretty girl with red hair
who gave a shit about how she treated people

but not only is life not a cartoon
it's not a movie
nor a cartoon
nor anything worth watching, really.

and that's okay, I suppose
because it is what it is

although
I think I've isolated the problem:

this whole time
I've been worrying about being further west
as though there was something about longitude
something in east/west binaries
keeping me from peace
but now
on my fourth-to-last night in this town
(nothing new, anyway)
I'm revising my future
replacing ink with lead

and thinking:

you've ruined the west.

I'll take the south,
thank you.

I'll bring you some enchantment.
I hear there's a land for that.

1 comment:

Meg said...

say hi to Georgia for me.