Wednesday, June 1, 2011

cards, meet table. table, cards.

as I started to write tonight
I went through more opening lines than some lonely drunk
trolling for women as desperate as him in an unfamiliar bar
and all because I don't know what to say.

anyone who's ever been here knows:
when I lack specificity, I paper over it with quantity
I throw words into drywall and cover the holes with more words
hoping that maybe there's a secret bag of money
hidden somewhere in the walls.

but tonight
I'm not feeling like words.
I'm feeling like music.
and I wrote a new song
it's called "birthday" and it goes like this:

"dee dee deeeeee dee dee deeeee
dee deeeeeee dee deeeeee doo dee doooo
la la laaaaaa la la laaaaaa la laaaaaaaa"

and then it repeats itself a few more times.
it's about you.

and I hope it was a good one
(but not as good as last year's.)

2 comments:

martha said...

i'm going to pretend you wrote this on october 1. :)

martha said...

i'm going to pretend you wrote this on October 1. :)