1. Monument Valley. It was Jesse Custer's penultimate showdown and where they shot Stagecoach. The rocks are shaped like mittens and you could use a warm handshake.
2. Phoenix. Hot tex-mex and hotter afternoons will sweat you down.
3. Santa Fe. One out of every three businesses is an art gallery or museum. Get some perspective.
4. Colorado Springs. The evangelical Christian capital of the world. Though you may disagree, it'll be nice to be around people who know what they believe.
5. Denver. Who knows what you'll find. It's always nice to have a wildcard.
The backseat holds a comforter and my cooler rides shotgun, filled to maximum capacity with baby carrots and cranberries, pecans and peaches. Gas tank's full, sunglasses are on, and I feel like a Blues Brother. Aretha is drifting between underpowered speakers and the 6:27 AM sun is beginning to rise over the Rockies on my right and lights the way south. Milk trucks in an adjacent parking lot depart and return from their morning rounds, loading and unloading coolers suspiciously similar to mine.
I made a few cheese sandwiches, too. I might run into you, and I want to be prepared:
something tells me you might be a vegetarian.
See you there.