Friday, January 21, 2011

anth(rop)ology.

I drove home the long way
because I'm a driver.
I drive like others walk or fly

Walking can at least get you where you're going
and there's a determination in putting
one foot in front of another in front of another in front of another
and there's an honor in earning an arrival
paying in footprints left like receipts

And flying can remind you of the wonders that we've seen
the peaks our lifetimes have met
and our capacity for contribution and the responsibilities
to which we must live up
and it's the next step before teleportation:
one second, you're somewhere
and hours later
you're somewhere else

but driving takes your destination with you
your feet become wheels and your glasses a windshield
and rumble strips shake your eyes back open
you don't miss a thing and you stay among the people
and nobody makes you turn off your music during takeoff
so you can hear King of California start to finish

I took a tour of the valley today as the sun set
I saw Utah Lake, went into the bookstores
saw the place where I first took your hand
drank the coffee that I pretended to like
but which existed solely to open my eyes
just so I could see more of you

and others may have been my Lust For Life or my Dark Side of the Moon
but you:
you were my Greatest Hits

there are many things that I would like to say to you
but I don't know how

and it's so hard to dance that way
when it's cold and there's no music

4 comments:

Claire Valene Bagley said...

It'll get warmer.

You write. You breathe. You just keep doing the things that come naturally. One foot in front of the other, like you said.

Meg said...

incredible, as always. I am particularly fond of the music album lines :)

Anonymous said...

in response to tweet:
lhasa apso.

Andy said...

The above is in reference to dog breeds; I'm looking into getting a pup of my own and I solicited recommendations on Twitter.

Re: lhasa apso, I've only met one and it wasn't particularly nice to me. Heard it was a good dog that got a bit cranky in its old age, though. Thinking more along the lines of a Boston Terrier.