Sunday, April 18, 2010

nuggets.

"I don't know why I'm so sad," she says,
her arms falling around my neck and turning to granite.
the kitchen's dark and her head digs into my chest
looking for somewhere to love.

there's salmon in the freezer and the open front door invites a chill inside
I can feel her cheeks blushing against me
kiss her head and think of that PJ Harvey song:
"I've seen [her] laugh"
but I've never seen her cry.

we sink to the couch
she breathes in trenches and breathes out whispers
her hands squeeze me
"Don't go," they say. "Stick with me."

later, she laughs
it ripples through the heavy air and touches my tomorrows.

she rings in the morning
with hot breath and cold feet
fresh coffee steaming the window above the pot
fogging the glass

it's hard to see with fog in your eyes.

4 comments:

France is said...

i love this.

France is said...

with fog in my eyes.

emilyf said...

what the salmon? :) I like this...I see this. Granite, laugh into my tomorrows...sweet.

Kels H. said...

I think I lived this a little bit yesterday. Only it was venison in my freezer.