Sunday, March 14, 2010

p.s.

"I know a man
he came from my hometown
he wore his passion for a woman like a thorny crown.
He said, "Delores, I live in fear:
my love for you is so overpowering I'm afraid that I will disappear."

I know a woman
who became a wife
these are the very words she uses to describe her life.
She said, "A good day ain't got no rain."
She said, "A bad day is when I lie in bed and think of things that might've been."

I know a father who had a son
he longed to tell him all the reasons for the things he'd done.
He came a long way just to explain,
and kissed his boy as he lay sleeping,
then he turned around and headed home again.

God only knows
and God makes His plans
the information is unavailable to the mortal man.
We're working our jobs, collect our pay
Believe we're gliding down the highway,
when in fact we're slip sliding away."

1 comment:

Sibyl Vane said...

I LOVE Paul Simon and this song.
Best lyricist ever.
My soul is happy.

Despite the fact that Paul doesn't seem to have one religion that he belongs to (or, perhaps, because he doesn't have a set religion), he has a deep sense of the divine, and a definite understanding of what it is to be human. Today's popular music that's filled with silly love songs and teenage angst can't really compare to the genius of people like Paul and Cat Stevens.