Monday, February 1, 2010

I hate driving in the snow.

The music is a lot happier than the words. You'll just have to trust me. See also: pretty much everything Dave Alvin has ever recorded. Blame him if you don't like it.

-------------------------

She said you’re a long way from here
Do you think you can stay awake?
If you’re sleepy, call me on the telephone
I’ve got some pills that you can take

Let me know how far you are
and pay attention for the sign
Don’t drive too fast, but don’t drive too slow
Try to make good time, because tonight you’re mine

We’ll hold on to everything that we can manage to find
Digging through dirt and time and hurt for a line
That we can follow and a word that we can swallow
And the coughing and the sneezing and the indifference and the teasing for a while

Darling, there’s so much snow on the road
Blizzard clouds have arrived
In your heart say a little prayer
That I’ll make it there alive

I’ll let you know how far I am
I can’t wait to see your smile shine
I think that I’ll be there soon
I’ll try to make good time, because tonight you’re mine

We’ll hold onto everything that we can manage to find
Sifting sand for a welcoming hand right in a line
That we can follow and a word that we can swallow
And the confusion for decision and the illusion of a mission on a miracle mile

I can hear the phone ringing now
And the wind is blowing so cold
I still feel like I’m on my way
But I don’t know what you’ve been told

Snow is covering my eyes
And in my ears the sirens whine
That corner looked less sharp behind a cloud of white
Hid that massive knotty pine but tonight you’re mine

You can hold onto anything that you think you can find
What was mine is yours as a matter of course you’re a line
That I can follow in a world that always felt so hollow
Without warning of my leaving but no mourning and no grieving, so please just smile.

No comments: