Thursday, November 12, 2009

Something to tide you over:

I caught your eye from across the room
My dear my dear please don’t leave so soon
Not before we’ve had the chance to dance
In thirty years you can tell your kids
All about the nights like this
And the story of the kiss that you may have missed
If you went home

Jukebox only takes quarter coins and if you wouldn’t mind joining me
Despite the signal such action sends
You hold me tight and we dance until after it ends
Don’t you tell your friends about me

Because I’m fine being some kind of ghost
And the thing that really matters most
Is you and I are here with the indomitable wages of sin
But I won’t let them in
I won’t let them in

Put my left hand around your right
Squeeze a bit but not too tight
And I look into your eyes and I can’t help but blinking
Put my right hand on the side of your waist
Wondering just how you might taste
And I’m faced with the question of what it is you’re thinking

My fingers, toes, and everything’s crossed
Your eyes, they drift and I’m afraid I’ve lost you
Despite the signal such action sends
You pick a song and we dance until after it ends
You can tell your friends about me

Because it’s not like they can’t see us now
And I try to move my feet but I’ve forgotten how
And I hope and I pray that there’s something that I can do
To stay with you
To stay with you

I’m thinking things that I’ve never thought
And I look at the partner that I’ve got
And the way I was taught to avoid the first night’s kiss
But the room is freezing and it’s cold as ice
From inches away you smell so nice
So I say “Screw it” and I go right in for your lips

Try to ignore all the things I’ve learned
And fearing that my actions’ll scare you spurned
Despite the signal such action sends
You don’t let go and we kiss until after it ends
You should tell your friends about me

Because I want them to know what’s in store
And I’ll spare you a melodramatic metaphor
And I whisper softly in your year
Now that the dust has settled and my thoughts are clear
But you leave.

No comments: