Tuesday, September 1, 2009

To any/everyone that claims to have a particular insight into me, relationships with me, or the supposed eternal consequences thereof:

Fuck off and mind your own goddamn business. Until you have all of the information (which I assure you do not), keep your bloated, sanctimonious mouths shut. If you just can't seem to keep your oh-so-brilliant observations to yourself, I'll be happy to buy you a muzzle, under the sole condition that I get to put it on you.

If, for whatever reason, you think that God thinks less of certain people and wants them to stay away from other people because of where they spend their Sunday mornings, what they like to drink with their dinner, or their support of equal rights for all, the God you worship is a really big asshole and He can fuck off, too. Any God that would keep people apart because of an often-changing, exclusionary rite, self-affiliation, or willingness to submit to the arbitrary authority of man is not a God that should exist, and if He does, He hardly deserves our worship.

The God I believe in and worship is a lot more concerned with people being decent and letting them make their own decisions. And He loves you as much as He loves me, and He forgives me for having so much spite toward your ugly, reactionary minds, justifiable though it is.

If you think this is ugly, you should hear some of the things people have said about/to me over the last month. Quite a series of doozies.

But to those that are decent, good-hearted people who simply want to love and/or worship, good on ya, mate(s). I may find myself in the agnostic column, but of one thing I am certain:

In time, we will all get our reward. But I'll leave that to Him. You should, too.

If you think this is directed at you, you're probably right.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand with that, I have reached my passive-aggressive lashing out quota for at least six months.


EDITED TO ADD: I am not referring to a single religion, faith, etc., but more a prevailing attitude with which I have recently come into close, repeated contact. The vast majority of people I know, regardless of their faith (or lack thereof), are fundamentally decent, good people for whom I have nothing but the highest respect. But a whole lot of them are really awful and give religious people a bad name. But I also respect that that isn't your fault. Sorry for any perceived slights against people that don't deserve them.

2 comments:

jer said...

Andy -

A few things:

1) Good for you for standing up for yourself. You're among the better human beings I've ever had the pleasure of knowing, and if others don't get this, then too bad for them.

2) I really hope you and Julie make it. I don't know if that's still in the cards - but if you love her, then love her.
In any case, you deserve the best.

3) Religion is an incredibly tricky thing, even for those of us who choose that way of life. I find that most of the time, the people who give the rest of us a bad name are simply overcompensating for massive character flaws.

whillice said...

My God does not fear your God.

My God is Crom, the same as Conan's God. He only delights in the crushing of our enemies, seeing them flee before you, and hearing the lamentations of the women.

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no time for it.

No one, not even you will remember if we were good men or bad, why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many, that's what's important.

Valor pleases you, Crom, so grant me one request, grant me REVENGE! And if you do not listen, then TO HELL WITH YOU!