Monday, March 2, 2009

I should write titles/that ain't types of poetry/but I can't help it.

You can be a good person and have bad taste, but you can't be a bad person and have good taste. The two trajectories do not intersect.

-----

Whatever happened to earnest sincerity? Why do we feel that we must coat everything in a drizzle of ironic detachment? Passion is all we have, and willingly giving that up means that the robots are that much closer to victory. Let us not define ourselves by what we hate, but by what excites us, stirs us, drives us to commit beautiful mistakes. Let our lives come from our honest adorations, not our smug superiorities.

-----

I find that the night is far too pretty
To sleep through in this little city
You can have your day and your afternoon
But for me, the night can't come too soon.

-----

It used to bother me when morons and artificially arbitrary subcultures appropriated good music, as they are eventually wont to do, if for no other reason than sheer probability. But anything that puts quality into the hands of those that would otherwise not find it is good in my book, even if it is appreciated for precisely the wrong reasons. And yes, there are bad reasons to like good things, just as there are good reasons to like bad things.

-----

If you proclaim that "all TV is stupid, " you're clearly a fool, as dismissing an entire medium based on the quality of its most prominent offerings indicates an ignorance bordering on the adorable.

-----

Yeah, I thought poetry sucked, too, until I got into Blake, Kavanagh, Williams, and Tennyson. In this most public of forums, I hereby eat my words (chomp chomp chomp) and humbly declare that I will never make that mistake again.

-----

(These are Julie's, which is to say that, while I wrote them, they have been given to Julie)

I never once learned to crochet
There aren't enough hours in the day
The thing mother taught
That I never forgot
Was the usage of several cliches.

-----

I'd write a haiku
but I am not very good.
I am so sorry.

2 comments:

whillice said...

I can't comment enough
To tell you how blown away
so i wrote haiku

whillice said...

Sorry. That first line shoud've been "i can't comment 'nuf"

I am bad at math
So why do i write haiku?
Just 5-7-5....